It's not a secret that I love my Kindle. I actually went into meltdown mode when my screen froze last month and Amazon actually had to send me a new kindle. I love it. I think it is THE. BEST. INVENTION. EVER. I have enjoyed it much more than I ever thought that I would. I used my kindle app on my iPod so much that is when I decided to buy the real thing. That's when my love affair with my kindle started.
Here are a few things that I love about my Kindle:
- I can download a book in 60 secs. I don't have a book store here in my town in Scotland. Makes it a trek to go and get a book. Even if I order one online, I still need to pay for shipping and wait for the book to arrive. I'm not to keen on waiting. I love how accessible books have become for me since having my Kindle.
- I read faster on my Kindle. I do. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the lack of having to flip a page. It is easier to read in bed too. It is easy to hold. I now find paperbacks quite awkward to hold. Is that weird?
- There are so many good deals on Kindle. I have a ton of free books. I don't see Waterstone's handing out free books. There are a ton of books at whatever price point you're looking for. I also love that I can keep checking back for my favorite books and when I find them on sale, I grab it! I love the price of books on my Kindle.
- It is so much easier to carry around! When traveling I use to bring 4-5 books for a week and wonder if that would be enough. It took up a ton of space. Now I can carry as many books as I want with me, where ever. I take it with me everywhere. I just throw it in the diaper bag and when I get a min I can pull it out!
- You don't need a Kindle to enjoy Kindle books! Download one of the apps to read on your phone, iPod, or PC/Mac! I love instant gratification. You can enjoy it too, without buying a Kindle!
Here is what I love about Traditonal Books:
- Covers. I love books covers. I love looking at them on the shelf. I totally judge a book by it's cover and it is usually what gets me to buy a book.
- Easily read book jacket. I have to log on to my wifi on my kindle just to read the book description. Sometimes I can't remember what a certain books is about that I bought and I want to check the jacket. I love that about traditional books.
- Book stores!!! I have always loved walking into a book store and letting the books call to me. They choose me, not the other way around. I like being in the midst of other readers. My kind of people. It is sad so many book shops are closing. We need to do our part to keep them open!! Keep buying books from your local indie or local book store.
- I love sharing and borrowing books. It feels good to share a book with a friend or loved one. Hand something to them that you've loved and want to share with them. Here in the UK we still can't share our kindle books. Yet.
All that being said... I prefer to read on my Kindle. I do. Does that make me a traitor? I don't think so. I'm reading more than ever and buying more books than ever before. The Kindle has made me into an even more lover of reading! But, I would never ever want to get rid of traditional books all together. I feel it is important for our future to buy and read traditional books. It is important for publisher's, authors, libraries, and readers. I think those of us who use an e-reader need to make sure to buy traditional books each year as well as e-books. I believe it would be a sad world without them. Plus my bookshelf would look like of funny.
So, let's get chatting about books vs e-readers.
What do you like about each? Are there any of you against e-readers all together? Anybody want an e-reader but don't have one yet? Anyone have an e-reader and love or hate it?
Give it to me! Let's chat!