Here are some of my tips for keeping organized in book blogging::
- Format posts in advance. Holy you need to be doing this. When I'm reading a book I will take a few minutes and format the post well before I write the review. It is sitting there waiting for me whenever I'm ready to write. I also format Top Ten Tuesday, The Newsstand and other posts before the time to actually write. This free's up SO much time!!
- Write reviews as soon as possible after finishing a book. Because I've already formatted the post I usually go straight to my computer to write something down before all the feelings of the story leave me. I personally don't ever start a new book until I've finished writing the review. In doing this I've never actually been behind on reviews.
- Update blog once per week. I usually put on a movie or audiobook and update master review lists, discussion page, goodreads, amazon, etc. It is a mundane task but it needs done regularly. This is really enjoyable for me. I'm able to make sure everything is in order before I start my next week's blogging and know that I'm never really behind on blog maintenance. While also getting caught up on TV shows and movies.
- Take one evening per month and write a few blog posts in advance. They might be discussions, interviews, guests posts, giveaway's etc. Whatever they are write them up. You can get them written and be free for the month!
- Schedule posts in advance. I'm usually scheduled 2 weeks in advance. Right now I have enough reviews compiled and scheduled to go until mid December. Hallelujah! This means I'm stress free. I'm not worrying about posting something when I don't have the time. Often I give myself a read-a-thon to get myself on track when I'm running low on reviews.
Now some of you may be saying, "That looks great but I'm behind now. How do I catch up?" I have a few tips to help with that too.
- Don't sweat it if you need a blogging break. You're readers will still be there. There is nothing wrong with taking time for yourself. I do it often and I don't feel ashamed about it. Blogging is supposed to be fun and if it isn't for you then you should take a little break. I can usually take a break and nobody notices because I have enough posts scheduled in advanced that I don't lose a beat.
- Ask a few friends/relatives to write up a review of their favorite book. Get them scheduled and take the week off. Give yourself a read-a-thon and get to work.
- Take a break from posting but not blogging. This is when your blog is quiet but you are busy getting posts ready for the next week or two. You can tell your reader's you are taking a week or two off and you'll be back to blogging at a certain date. Save those posts from friends and relatives and use them to start your 1-2 week advanced scheduling.
- Take one evening per week and write up some advanced posts. I can usually write up 4 Top Ten Tuesday posts easily and then I'm done for the whole month there! Winning!
I like to keep a notepad around for ideas when they come for discussions, events, or whatever ideas I have for my blog. This way I won't forget and can get to it when I have time. I hope that even some of you will be able to relax a little bit more in blogging and know that by scheduling in advance you can really free up your time. Before you know it you'll be caught up on posts/blogging and you'll be scheduling posts in advance. Good luck and let me know how it goes!